The most important things to know about me.
Hi! I'm Lauren. I'm so glad you found your way here.
As a photographer I ask people to be honest with me. To be open hearted and truthful in front of my camera so that I can know them well enough to capture their souls. So let me get the ball rolling!
- I am first and foremost a mother. My daughters snuck in and snatched up my heart and I can't even remember what my life was like before them.
- I get to spend a significant amount of time playing music with my two best friends in a band called The Dearhearts. We travel around, stopping in living rooms and other small concert venues to play music, tell stories, and just generally crack each other up. I contribute by playing a little guitar, some mandolin, and writing a few songs.
- I drink coffee. A lot of it. Black so that I don’t get diabetes. 2017 Update: My love of coffee has developed into a full blown addiction. I like to believe it's mutual though. I can't survive without coffee but I also think that maybe coffee couldn't survive without me...
- I used to feel like I couldn't wait to leave my home town and live in a big city. But the older I get, the more I appreciate the community that I was raised in, the community I now call home. As a teenager I hated the fact that I knew everyone and everyone knew me. As an adult, I love the fact that my daughters can knock on any door in town and find a loving pair of arms to welcome them. My career choice(s) take me out into the world in a big beautiful way, but my dear Rosebud welcomes me home with the smell of friendly campfires and the sounds of children's laughter ringing through my dear valley.
- I love camping in the mountains. But if I’m being completely honest I’m more of a “build a fire, read a good book, leisurely hike with a lot of flower smelling and photo taking and good conversation” kind of camper than a “let’s crush this mountain and then find another one to climb” kind of camper. Sorry dad.
- I love flowers. Live flowers, dried flowers, potted flowers, picked flowers, crushed flowers, flower prints, photos of flowers…
- In the summer (and spring and fall) I spend 99% of the time either barefoot or in my trusty Birkenstocks.
- I love the idea of minimizing my life. Having white walls and clean furniture that perfectly coordinates. But I also love bright yellow paint in my kitchens and my mom's homemade quilts flung across my couch. It's a balancing act.
- Laughing is one of my very favourite things to do in the world. If you can make me laugh for real, we are probably about to become great friends.
- I firmly believe that as artists we should strive for community rather than competition. If you are a fellow photographer, send me a message! Let's get coffee.
- Few things make me feel as rooted in the love of God as a Rosebud sunset.
My Photography Philosophy
I believe in you. I believe in the beauty that you don't always see in yourself. I believe that with the right words I can coax out your truest self. I believe in love. I believe in marriage. I believe that we live in a skeptical society and that it is our responsibility to prove them all wrong. I believe in telling the truth.
I believe in the magic of vulnerability, and I promise that I will forever cherish the trust you put in me to create a space in which you can be unapologetically open and vulnerable. I believe that a photo has the power to teach you about who you are, and to show you how beautiful the world knows you to be. I believe that light will always be stronger than darkness, and I will chase that light to the ends of the earth.